We live our own way here in Eastern North Carolina. Join us in our discussions of frugality, self sufficiency, gardening, and homeschooling.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Birth Story #4: A Quick Homebirth

I'm sure most of you feel like I've abandoned my blog yet again but the third trimester suddenly hit me and I was exhausted.  However, MrLivingOurWay has been plugging away on our little farm of the future and exciting things are happening.  Here is our final birth story as I remember it.

On March 30, 2014, I had an appointment with my midwife at about 39 weeks 1 day in the morning. Baby was head down and low but I didn’t really have any other signs of impending labor. After she left, we ate lunch and we put BerryPie down for a nap. We had plans following the nap to head out and do some last minute birth/baby shopping. I left CupCake  and ShortCake in front of the TV and told them I was going to take a nap too. Two and half hours later, I woke up with a contraction. It was strong but I’d been having strong Braxton Hix contractions for the last several weeks as well so I wasn’t alarmed until I had a couple of more. I timed a couple on my phone to be 5 minutes apart. 

I called CupCake to go get MrLivingOurWay who was getting the last of the stumps out of the field he is working on. I went to the bathroom thinking the contractions would probably fizzle out as they had done previously. No such luck. I moved to the computer and timed several more. They were now 2-3 minutes apart and ranging in length from 30 seconds to a minute. I texted my mom to let her know she might want to get her things together and I’d let her know when I knew for sure. They were really, really hurting at this point. MrLivingOurWay came in and shoved a cup of water at me saying “Your only 39 weeks, maybe you are just dehydrated.” I took the water but I knew better and ordered him to call our midwife back to our house. For some reason, our cell phones picked that day not to pick up a signal inside the house. The midwife said she was on the way and my husband went to work setting up the pool. I was panicking and in pain. Our house was still not as clean as I wanted it. The car seat wasn’t installed. I needed to find someone to watch our kids. I texted a friend and asked them if she could pick them up but after several minutes I sent CupCake to call both her and my mom. Apparently the CupCake sounded so panicked that that our friend rushed right over to pick them up thinking that it was an emergency and I was grateful. She found me leaning on a table and screaming through contractions. She said “Be calm. You can do this.” And somehow hearing a calm reassuring voice of a woman really helped. I told her I could feel the baby moving down and she asked if I wanted her to stay until the midwife arrived. I said “Yes!”. She helped the kids get their stuff together which also wasn’t packed and asked about their Easter goodies.  MrLivingOurWay got them for her and installed a missing car seat into one of our cars for her to take so she could fit her son in the car with the FindingOurWays. Just as the midwife walked in the door, the pool was filled. She listened to the baby‘s heart rate and then suggested I might want to get in the pool. I did. I remember shouting at MrLivingOurWay that I hated him. I’d never done that in labor before. I asked him to leave. The midwife misunderstood and asked if I wanted her to leave and I said “No! I want him to leave.” He didn’t leave except when I asked for a drink from the kitchen. The drink calmed me down but I was still in pain and still loud. I didn’t really understand that my body was pushing the baby out on its own at the point. My water broke and there seemed to be a ton of meconium. It looked yellow and I verified that was most likely old which I knew meant the baby would most likely be ok but I was still really nervous about it. It wasn’t long before the head was out and then her whole body. The midwife caught her and helped me lift her up untwisting her from the cord. I was helped out of the tub as baby had her first real meconium. Everything went just perfectly. Baby was healthy and I made it through with just needing one stitch. It was the least damage I’ve had out of four births. Labor was 2 ½ hours from first contraction though I have to say my longer labors were MUCH easier on me.  Princess was 7 pounds 11 oz and 20 1/2 inches long with a 13.5 inche head at birth. She's really, really skinny all over.



  1. Awe congrats!! She is so beautiful...what a great birth story too :)

  2. Woooow! That's a whirlwind of a labor!!! It sounds like you are doing well, though. She is a beauty!